Saturday, November 28, 2009

Thankfulness

As the week of Thanksgiving draws to a close, I stand in awe of my God. I wouldn't call myself an unthankful person but I have been more thankful than usual lately. I have amazing friends and family, an amazing job and an amazing pupose for my life and I recognize those things often. However, I lost my Papaw almost two weeks ago and I am more emotional than I thought I would be about it. My Papaw was a good person, he set an example of Godliness for all of his children and my dad has continued to set that example for me and my sister. For that, I am thankful. I am thankful for the life my Papaw lead and for the legacy he left for my family.

It's funny how thankfulness expresses itself in our lives. For me, it has been shocking. I don't think I cry alot, or regularly. I am a movie crier, and if someone is around me crying, you can expect to see tears on my face. However, I do not just sit and cry. I usually try to mentally avoid those situations, distract myself from thinking about things that make me cry. Recently, however, I have sat and cried. I sat in awe of my God; in tears at His feet. I have never before been more thankful for the cross than I was at my Papaw's funeral. I am thankful that my Papaw's suffering ended and he immediately tasted the promise of the cross. Isn't that glorious?! Suffering happens, and we brush it off and learn from it. We dry up our tears, get some Shout for the stains on our knees (from being on our knees infront of God) and we learn.

I am thankful for suffering! It brings joy to my heart because I know that my God is in control of all things and that He allows me to suffer because He loves me. But, more importantly, I may have tears and sadness because my Papaw is not on this earth anymore, but I am joyful that he is with his Father in Heaven!

No comments:

Post a Comment