Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Almost halfway...wow

So, I was doing to paperwork, as is the custom of missionaries it seems, and I realized that next week I will have been in Georgia a month. Consequently, I will also reach the halfway point of this journey.

I wanted to share a story of one of the most challenging and best days so far. For some background: The Living Vine runs four thrift stores called Blessingdales to help with the expenses around here. As a summer missionary, and staff, I work in a thrift shop a few times a week. I have heard from other staff members how God changed the stores from a resource for the Vine to a spiritual resource for the community but until Monday I had not seen that in action. Monday started as a bad day: we couldn't find keys for important things and the air was out in the store (not good on a hot day). However, it changed quickly; here is a excerpt from my journal:

"I am overwhelmed by God's plan. Three people have come to me today and poured their hearts out. For the last week I just came to the store just to work and make money for the Vine. I thought that was my purpose. But now I see God is doing more here than providing for our needs; we are providing for the community's needs. A lady who poured her story to me said she comes to the store just because of the feeling of peace she gets. It is so cool how God works. It is unreal that he brought me hundreds of miles from home to live life alongside people. I'm not solving world hunger problems or any other huge social justice issue; I'm just living life. Somehow I think this is the way the Christian life is supposed to be."

I have also come to the realization that in a little over two months I will begin my senior year in college-wow, where did the time go?! I am amazed at how my life has changed in the last three years! Those three years have resulted in my journey this summer and I pray that God draws me closer to him over the next five weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment