So, I have been in Georgia for a week now and not a whole lot has changed. Georgia is a lot like Louisiana so it's not a big culture shock or anything like that.
I have had many people give me advice and words of wisdom and two that I have held on to are "You will mess up, count on it, everyone does" and "8 weeks here is not enough time to even scratch the surface of what God can do to you here." So, needless to say those are not very happy words of encouragement. I've been thinking about that lately when I have off time since I don't have a car and can't go to many places. My first thought was that I probably should just get back on the plane because if I'm not going to have enough time here and mess up a lot they would be better off without me. However, that is not the case. I have been lonely here at times, I have fought sadness and frustration and slothfulness and I have struggled to get in the Word. I hate how when I have a whole day with no plans I waste time and don't give God my whole day and just listen. I want to learn to be patient and listen. I want to learn to love these girls even when they lie to me, are manipulative and are broken and falling apart. I am not used to failing. I don't like it. I don't want to fail in my relationships with these girls but I know that God can use me, and if it is through my failure and teaching the girls how to apologize and mend relationships then so be it. I know I don't know everything about handling relationships and I feel small against these girl's situations. I realize I have nothing to give to these girls without God. He is the only thing I can offer that will help. My personal words of wisdom are not enough; in this situation, I am inadequate but the Lord is strong. "My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness. So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me" 2 Corinthians 12:9
I am determined to let God do a good work in me. I know that without a doubt I am in the right place for the next 7 weeks. I am surrounded by amazing (yet intimidating) women of God who want to pour into me. My prayer is that I see where I need help, I am rid of my pride, and I become vulnerable so that I am changed and become more like God.
Some good things that have happened here: I like the beach :) the girls feel safe so they have retreated to their childhoods that were taken from them and they like to play (I also like to play). I am in the process of getting a tan, hopefully this will happen :)
Some things I want to do: eat some good food (Paula Deen may be out of the question-you have to get in line early in the morning to get a ticket then wait in line with your ticket...), See River St and the town squares, hangout with some cool Georgia folk.
(by the way, I would like to discover things that I like. Throughout the q&a time I've had with almost every person I meet I can't think of things I like to do. Maybe I like cooking? I know the things my friends like, but I am blank on my likes. I know what I don't like, but I want to be a more decisive person...I should work on this :)
No comments:
Post a Comment